The wasp is prone to using its sting to deter the presence of elements it deems dangerous near its nest. Wasps, ants, hornets, bees and yellow jackets are from the order of Hymenoptera. Wasp and bee sting especially can cause an allergic reaction in humans that can sometimes turn fatal in some people. The stings from this class of insects are referred as a hymenoptera sting.
Why are wasp stings dangerous?
Wasps impart venom when they sting you and this venom triggers an allergic reaction known as an anaphylaxis. The anaphylactic shock is risky because it results in life threatening situations. You will experience
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Swollen lips and tongue
- A weakened pulse or a very rapid pulse
- Intense vomiting
- Runny nose
Some of these symptoms make it difficult for the person who has been stung to breathe or it may cause them to choke when their airways become swollen. This may result in death. The first symptoms of an anaphylactic shock are typically a break out in hives, pale or flushed skin, dizziness and fainting spells, extremely lowered blood pressure and sudden constriction in the airways.
The symptoms following a sting can begin to set in immediately or within a few minutes of the sting. Within 30 minutes they have usually intensified and peaked needing urgent medical attention. The anaphylactic reaction may dissipate after the first wave but in most cases this lull lasts only for a few hours usually less than eight before the affected person experiences the second wave of reactions known as the biphasic response.
The second phase may be just as severe as the first or milder. You can expect it to occur within the first 72 hours of the anaphylactic episode.
Even for people who do not go into anaphylactic shock as a result of the wasp sting they still experience the effects of the sting for up to three days.
Who is most vulnerable?
The people most vulnerable to wasp stings are the ones who have previous allergic reactions to the same insects. Such people may or may not know about their allergic reaction. For non-allergic people children and the elderly are the most affected followed by pregnant women and invalids. The non-allergic people may not experience the anaphylactic shock but multiple stings from several wasps can result in swelling of the airwaves as well as bacterial infections on the skin broken by the sting.
Wasp venom contains some acetylcholine which is a chemical that triggers the pain receptors in the body. Unlike bees which leave their stinger attached to their victim’s flesh when they sting you, wasps don’t leave their stinger behind so it can sting over and over again. To take the bite out of the sting one can apply honey to the wound. Honey helps with healing the wound and relieves the urge to itch.
Baking soda is also a great home remedy for wasp stings because it neutralizes the venom effectively stopping the pain and discomfort .