Infestation with any pest, especially a stubborn one like the German cockroach, is not only annoying to the residents, but also a repelling factor to any potential buyer. Such a problem dramatically reduces the property price.
To get rid of cockroaches for good there are a few things that should be done in the given order. These steps have been tested and are known to work in some given cases.
The first step in getting rid of cockroaches is to get the whole property treated for pests, both by applying the chemical sprays and the local gel.
To prepare for such treatment the whole house should be cleaned thoroughly.
And, by thoroughly it’s meant to clean every square inch from anything that could be considered as food by the cockroaches. Even if you don’t see it, just clean it.
After the treatments have been applied to the given intervals by the professionals comes your role. There are two things that the property owner or the resident should do:
1. Find all the cracks in the house and seal them.
A silicon or cement applicator can be used. Those cracks are the hiding places of the cockroaches, especially if you can spot the tiny brown dots scattered around and on the surfaces underneath the crack. These little tiny brown dots are the fecal materials of the cockroaches. And by sealing them you make sure any eggs when they hatch nothing can come out to bother you again.
2. Make sure you don’t invite them every again to your property.
This part is crucial and is the reason such infestation with German cockroaches are really hard to treat. If you have roaches in your property it means they have a way to get to it.
For example, if your neighbors apply pest control treatment, especially the chemical spray one, some of the adult roaches from their property could migrate to your house. Make sure they don’t find anything to keep them alive.
An example list of things not to do to keep the cockroaches away is as follows:
- By sealing the cracks above you give them no place that they can use as a nest.
- By cleaning before the professionals treat your property, you make sure if an egg pouch escapes the treatment and hatches, the baby roaches will have nothing to feed on.
- By regularly keeping the property clean all the time and crack-free you are making sure no migrating adults could find a place to nest or any nutrients.
- By fixing any dripping faucets or pipes you are making sure your property stays dry.
Cockroaches need moisture just as much as they need food. If moisture is not there, they can not survive.
There are some electronic devices that repel cockroaches by producing ultrasonic waves that can not be heard by humans nor the pets but are annoying to the roaches. Always have one of those on.
To fully eliminate cockroaches in your home, contact your local pest control company for cockroach removal services.