Mice are relatively small and hairy rodents, that damage household items, eat at food, and carry disease. Mice control can be complicated because mice are small in size and tend to crawl through small cracks and gaps.
Typically, they are prevalent in heavily cluttered areas, such as garages and basements. They are also hard to locate during the day and are most often found at night or when the lights are turned off.
It has been proven that mice are attracted to all types of food. If you have mice in your home, it is important that you do not leave any food out at any time and you should make it a habit to wipe all the surfaces that food has been in contact with.
These little creatures have soft skeletons so without you noticing, they can easily get through even the tiniest of holes. Another preventive measure is by placing bristle strips along the bottoms of the doors.
The good news is that there are several successful ways of getting rid of mice. Prevention is always better than a cure. Preventing mice from invading your home is so much better and much easier than working on a solution to get rid of them.
Preventing Mice Infestation
- For health and hygienic purposes, it would be good to clean under the sofa and fridge as often as you can to ensure that there is no leftover food on the floors that can possibly attract mice.
- Another effective way to repel mice is by using ultrasonic repellers. This device gives out a sound that deters mice from your home.
- Keeping a home clean, organized, and uncluttered is the best way to prevent mice from showing up in your home.
- Properly putting away any food in secure containers and bags is important because it will keep mice from showing up anywhere near food.
- Because mice are very versatile rodents capable of jumping and running up and down walls, be sure to seal any open spaces, vents, cracks or thin openings from the inside and outside of the home. This will ensure mice don’t crawl in from outside or jump from opening to opening.
- Traps are also effective methods for getting rid of mice. Place and hide traps or glue boards where you suspect mice to be around. Placing mice bait near traps will attract mice to the food and the trap, in turn, will capture the mouse.
- If your home is already infested with mice, you can always go for the conventional method of getting rid of mice by using mouse traps. Peanut butter and chocolate are much more effective as bait compared to cheese. You can easily find wooden or live-capture mouse traps at your local DIY store.
For cases wherein you have repeated mice infestation, hiring professional pest controllers would be a good decision to make because they are highly trained and skilled in the area of pest control.