The best way to pest-proof your home is to eliminate such sources from areas that pests can easily reach. This method, known as exclusion, is known by all pest control companies to be the best option for how to get rid of insects in house and all types of pests in your home.
- To get your home free of pests, start by inspecting the outside. Garbage, leaves, grass, sticks, and other debris need to be removed from your porch and yard.
- Large trees and bushes should be routinely trimmed, especially if they’re touching or near your home. If you have dogs, cats, or birds, make sure that their living habitats are also regularly cleaned, as their food and feces are an attraction for pests.
- Next, check all of the water sources in your home including; sinks, drainage systems, toilets, and hose attachments. There shouldn’t be any leaks, as pests such as mosquitoes can reproduce in puddles and other places where water is enclosed.
- If there are places in which the water cannot be removed or cleaned, it is recommended that you obtain mosquito control dunks. These prevent mosquitoes from reproducing and are entirely safe to use in your home.
- As small as a crack or hole may seem, these should always be considered as an opportunity for pests to invade. Cockroaches, mice, ants, and termites are flexible and small, which makes it easy for them to fit into the smallest opening.
Examine your home (inside and out) for any holes or cracks and repair the damage immediately.
- Lastly, check inside your home for food that is not put away. Even the tiniest crumbs can attract pests. Make it a daily routine to clean up right away after eating and do not allow your children to eat anywhere but the dining room or kitchen. This will minimize the amount of food or crumbs that fall on the floor, furniture, beds, etc.
When looking for the best pest control treatment, it is important to do your research. Why? Because sometimes using sprays or other first-line products only makes the problem worse.
For example, an ant infestation will usually become bigger with sprays because only the ants that were sprayed will die. Meanwhile, the queen will keep on reproducing in the nest. You can also avoid a pest invasion by using a preventative treatment around your home.
This can be done by a professional or you can apply the treatment on your own and save some money. The products come in sprays or even granules, but it is up to you to determine which is the best option.
If you have pets or children, it is extremely important to make sure that the product is not toxic; otherwise, you will have to make the treated area off-limits at all times.
If in doubt, hiring a pest control company is your best bet. They are highly trained professionals who know what they’re doing and can answer any questions you may have.