Lice multiply fast and give rise to very hard eggs commonly referred to as nits. You can kill lice by using certain chemicals. However, these chemicals can harm both you and the lice on your scalp. You should, therefore, opt for natural ways on how to avoid lice. Here are a couple of natural ways to kill lice.
The most obvious way of eliminating lice on your scalp is through thorough combing and nitpicking.
Nitpicking removes the nits, lice eggs from your scalp while combing removes the lice. This leaves your scalp lice free. It is also important to note that nits take about seven to ten days to hatch.
This means that you have to nitpick and comb your hair every day to prevent an entirely new wave of freshly hatched lice from invading your scalp. However, just combing and nit-picking is not a foolproof method, anyway.
You can miss certain sections of your scalp. You must, therefore, use this method in conjunction with other natural ways of killing lice.
Natural ways to kill lice
- Olive oil is also a highly suitable natural way of killing lice. It acts like a lice smothering agent, effectively preventing the lice from breathing.
- The lice suffocate and die off. Olive oil smothers the lice because it covers the breathing holes on their skin. You should apply olive oil on your scalp and hair at night. Be careful not to leave out any sections.
You should then cover your head with a shower cap to ensure that the lice do not have any breathing room at all. The shower cap also helps you sleep comfortably without necessarily ruining your bedding.
- Another good and natural lice-killing agent is mayonnaise. Mayonnaise acts more or less like olive oil. It smothers the lice to death. Apply the mayonnaise at night and cover your head with a shower cap as well.
You should also be fully aware that lice have the ability to close and open their breathing holes to avoid any sort of suffocation.
- Use full-fat mayonnaise, which is just as strong as olive oil in regards to clogging the breathing holes of lice.
- Vinegar is also a suitable natural lice-killing liquid. It actually dissolves the sticky material that female lice use to stick their eggs onto your hair shaft. This means that the nits will simply fall off from your scalp. This can be very useful when you are nitpicking, making it easier and quicker.
All these natural ways to kill lice are very effective. However, personal hygiene also plays a very important role when it comes to lice control.
You need to wash your hair and body regularly. You also need to ensure that all your furniture, clothes and beddings are lice free. You can do this by cleaning them thoroughly using hot water and detergent.